Monday, January 28, 2008

Barak Obama: Is He Our Man?

When have you seen a political figure show this type of emotion? Do you think that Obama can win the presidency? If so, why? What is it about him that is so appealing or not?
A President Like My Father Caroline Kennedy writes in the New York Times her thoughts of Barak Obama: "I have never had a president who inspired me the way people tell me that my father inspired them. But for the first time, I believe I have found the man who could be that president — not just for me, but for a new generation of Americans." Click here to read more of Caroline Kennedy's article which articulates why she is endorsing Barak Obama.

Another endorsement comes from Toni Morrison. Below is a letter author Toni Morrison sent to Senator Obama. You may recall that Toni Morrison was the first to label Bill Clinton as our 'first black president" On the heels of the Kennedy endorsements, this is another powerful endorsement for our campaign of hope and change.

Also, the last debate before February 5th is this Thursday, January, 31st at 8:00 pm EST/7:00 pm CST/5:00 pm PST. CNN will be carrying the debate LIVE from the Kodak Theatre in Hollywood, CA.

Dear Senator Obama,

This letter represents a first for me--a public endorsement of a Presidential candidate. I feel driven to let you know why I am writing it. One reason is it may help gather other supporters; another is that this is one of those singular moments that nations ignore at their peril. I will not rehearse the multiple crises facing us, but of one thing I am certain: this opportunity for a national evolution (even revolution) will not come again soon, and I am convinced you are the person to capture it.

May I describe to you my thoughts?

I have admired Senator Clinton for years. Her knowledge always seemed to
me exhaustive; her negotiation of politics expert. However I am more
compelled by the quality of mind (as far as I can measure it) of a
candidate. I cared little for her gender as a source of my admiration,and
the little I did care was based on the fact that no liberal woman has ever
ruled in America. Only conservative or "new-centrist" ones are allowed
into that realm. Nor do I care very much for your race[s]. I would not
support you if that was all you had to offer or because it might make me
"proud."

In thinking carefully about the strengths of the candidates, I stunned
myself when I came to the following conclusion: that in addition to keen
intelligence, integrity and a rare authenticity, you exhibit something that
has nothing to do with age, experience, race or gender and something I
don't see in other candidates. That something is a creative imagination
which coupled with brilliance equals wisdom. It is too bad if we associate
it only with gray hair and old age. Or if we call searing vision naivety.
Or if we believe cunning is insight. Or if we settle for finessing cures
tailored for each ravaged tree in the forest while ignoring the poisonous
landscape that feeds and surrounds it. Wisdom is a gift; you can't train
for it, inherit it, learn it in a class, or earn it in the workplace--that
access can foster the acquisition of knowledge, but not wisdom.

When, I wondered, was the last time this country was guided by such a
leader? Someone whose moral center was un-embargoed? Someone with
courage instead of mere ambition? Someone who truly thinks of his country's
citizens as "we," not "they"? Someone who understands what it will take to
help America realize the virtues it fancies about itself, what it desperately needs to become in the world?

Our future is ripe, outrageously rich in its possibilities. Yet unleashing
the glory of that future will require a difficult labor, and some may
be so frightened of its birth they will refuse to abandon their nostalgia for
the womb.

There have been a few prescient leaders in our past, but you are the man for this time.

Good luck to you and to us.

Toni Morrison

Do you want to know which residential candidate's thinking is similar to yours? Use this link.

1 comment:

kimboo said...

this is just stupendous....they LOOK REAL...she is tall. Look how she put her head on Barak's (I say Barak like he's my friend) shoulder.
She looks like she's STILL in love with him and they actually touch each other in bed...not to have sex but just to have contact with each other. That picture is worth a million and one words. I love it, it's looks like love. He looks like, "Wow, my wife is touching me....I like this; I don't want to move."
After two children, she STILL wants to touch her man....I love this ....
THANK YOU JESUS....love still lives on......not just in me but in the White House!!!!!!