Friday, January 25, 2008

Susan Taylor is Leaving Essence



Big Change at Essence Magazine
Dec. 28, 2007

Susan Taylor, the woman who fashioned Essence into a "must-read" for black women, is planning to leave the magazine she has run for 37 years. Taylor, 61, joined Essence in 1970, the year it was first published, as a freelance fashion and beauty editor after founding her own company, Nequai Cosmetics, reports The New York Times . In 1981, Taylor became editor in chief and held the position until 2000, when she was promoted to publications director. Time Inc., which owns Essence, did not make an announcement about Taylor's resignation. Taylor, who is vacationing in South Africa, wrote in an automated out-of-office e-mail, "When I come back to the states in mid-January, I will be leaving Essence to do what at this juncture in my life has become a larger work for me--building the National Cares Mentoring Movement, which I founded as Essence Cares and today is my deepest passion."

Source: DiversityInc Website; Time Magazine now owns Essence.
more ...

No comments: